Wednesday, October 6, 2010

One last arena post

Oh arena... my dear arena. I don't know if I have done anything in game that provided such highs and lows as arena did. Sure we had our struggles in raiding (I am reminded of one of our last raid nights that caused me to use multiple f-bombs in one sentence over vent). But I don't know, arena was just somehow different than the highs and lows of raiding.

As I look back on Season 8, it was the first full season of arena that I participated in where I not only had experience, but started out with a pretty decent set of last season's gear. Though we had some highs like actually hitting 1700 as a 5v5 team, which allowed some of our casters to pick up purty new wands, we've struggled with the lows of a less than optimal team makeup.

All in all though I think we've done ok given what we had. I do think that my reaction time is definitely faster after a full season of arena. How much that helped with raiding, I don't know. And yeah, going into battlegrounds with arena gear on is pretty sweet!

As I think back on season 8, I think this quote from Charles Dickens summarizes my feelings on the highs and lows of arena quite perfectly:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

1 comment:

  1. As a DPS, I saw the difference in raiding/ Dungeoning before and after investing some time in Arena. My reactions are faster, I also uses spell that I would normally not. In heroic, I find myself kiting stuff around when the tank dies, saving me from unnecessary death.
    As a healer I don't know, but as a DPS raiding become really boring once you tasted Arena... don't stand in the fire, move 2 yards away, hit hit hit hit, Boss dead... I could almost key-bind A,S,D&W now ^^

    ReplyDelete