Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This is so my leadership philosophy

I'm kind of old fashioned in that I still like to buy books. I don't have an iPad or a kindle and don't really plan on buying them soon. So not only do I like to buy books, but I buy them in hardback. I know. I'm a dinosaur.

Quick side note though, is anyone else playing Tiny Tower? I want to play it on my iPhone but the tutorial keeps resetting itself. Chanti says that I shouldn't be too upset because it is virtual crack, in 8-bit form. That I should stop now before it takes over my life. But I'm intrigued! The game looks cute! I told him I may have to play around with his game this weekend.

Anyways, so the other day my latest book order finally got delivered to the hotel. One of the books I got was Tina Fey's book Bossypants. In the introduction, she gives some thoughts on how to be a good boss:

"... to get the best work out of people you may have to pretend you are not their boss and let them treat someone else like the boss, and then that person whispers to you behind a fake wall and you tell them what to tell the first person".

I immediately jumped when I read that because it was just so spot on in terms of Jess and I and our guild. You get to guess which role Jess plays and which role I play in this example. :)

5 comments:

  1. That reminds me of a line from a novel about a military group. The commander and his second-in-command had a little dynamic where the second would be the real disciplinary asshole, the person cracking heads and barking orders and keeping everyone in line. That way, the lower-ranking soldiers would think "You know, (Second) is a real nasty son of a bitch, but the Commander, he's a nice guy."

    I'm not saying that's how you operate! But it just reminded me of their setup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rades: Hee hee. It's probably true though. Jess is much nicer than I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sneaky - A bit like good cop, bad cop!

    Oh and, welcome to the jurassic! *patting row of hardcovers on ma shelf* =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loves me some Tiny Tower, mainlies 'cause I can play fer five minutes then set it down fer the rests of the day and not worry about losing nuthin' - no one starves to death, the merchandise don't rot, and it don't spam Facebook. And ya, is cute little buggers. Was a patch yesterday - mebbe re-downloading'll work fer ya?

    'Course, I's a little worrified about that aquarium way up on Floor 33, but we ain't had a waterpocalypse yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I just wanted to thank you for posting so much this month. I'm on a service trip to India and Blizzard didn't remove my authenticator like I asked and I can't get into WoW. Thank you for giving me my WoW fix! :)

    While I got a Kindle a year ago, I still love my print books. The ones that are hardcover are more special. That's why they need a sturdier backing!

    Just wanted to say thanks!

    ReplyDelete