Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Arena ratings and another great controversy

We had our typical arena night this past Monday again. It's been frustrating because while we may end our nights going 7-3 or 6-4, we hardly go up in our total arena team rating. What I don't understand is how our matchmaking rating is somewhere around 1740 when our no one on our arena team is rated above 1690 and none of us have ever had a personal arena rating past 1700. WTF. I don't get it.

Secondly, we're coming up against a good number of 1800+ rated teams who end up getting 48 points for whopping us. Which from what I understand means that they have individuals with much higher personal or matchmaking values and the system is giving them 48 points to bump them out of our bracket. I don't know, maybe with the season going so long a number of high rated teams are carrying newbies.

The crux of the matter is, we still haven't hit 1700. Thus the arena rating system is flawed. Flawed I say!!! (Actually it probably means we're a high 1600 rated team, but it makes me feel better to rail against the system than to admit that). /sigh.

Anyways, there has been a lot of controversial topics in the blogosphere lately. Let me add to the controversy via this interesting graph from this study of regional variations in the use "Pop" and "Soda" to describe generic carbonated soft drinks:

And for the record, its soda! Let the trolling from the pop users begin!

13 comments:

  1. What a stupid post. It's pop. Do you hear a "soda!" when the bottle opens? NO!
    Incidentally, I lie the way the color choices end up mirroring politcal red and blue, with the crazies on the coasts sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear klep, it somehow seems so right to me that you were my first pop troll and soda hater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's soda. Anybody that says otherwise can die in a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pffft. They's all cokes. Even Pepsis. Soda be carbonated mineral water, and pop is a weasel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troll? I am merely defending America from insanity. What's next, we call chips crisps? That's the line straight to monarchy and tyranny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually agree with Ratters, even though Pepsi is evil stuff.... It's Coke! ::giggle::

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely soda. If it was sound related wouldn't we call it "pssssst"? WHich doesn't sound like the best marketing name...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neither. It's softdrink in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is simply a drink to me, until it gets a lil' Captain or Jack or something else along those lines.

    Then it is called "palatable".

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jess: Ooh look at Jess inciting the flames! Putting some smack down on those "pop" voters!

    @Ratters and Kayeri: Seriously? Seriously? Like ginger ale and sprite... are cokes?!?!?!?!

    @Klep: I use the term troll with you with the utmost adoration.

    @Eversor: :)

    @Paolo: I did wonder what the Aussies and Brits generically call soda...

    @Nicolause: Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @K - Of course. Is all in the capitalizations - "coke" vs "Coke". Kinda like I can xerox stuff on me HP OfficeJet.

    "You want a coke?"
    "Sure, I'll take a 7-Up."

    ReplyDelete
  12. where im from its coke. Honestly best option call it by its brand name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprised the pop crowd hasn't had more representation. But then people who call it pop are godless heathens who most likely wouldn't visit a blog of such splendor and renown.

    ReplyDelete