Friday, June 6, 2008

My WOW development plan

I am currently in the process of doing my development plan for work. I have always hated doing them. In many ways, I think its just total BS. But I must... so I will. But then I thought maybe I could have some fun with it and apply it to WOW?

So here in a nutshell is what it looks like. It starts by asking:
* What are your short term goals/plans?
* Your long term goals/plans?
* What are your 3-4 areas of skills/knowledge that are your strengths?

Then in the next part you have to come up with a couple of "development needs" (bleh... corporate mumbo jumbo). And for every need, you list out:
* Why is this a priority?
* What is your action plan to achieve this need?
* Do you need anything to achieve this need?
* What are possible obstacles and constraints?
* What are the projected results and how will you measure success?

So how would I answer this for my WOW development plan?

* What are your short term goals/plans?: For our guild to find a permanent second healer and to finish Kara soon (yes, I know the term soon is all relative…)
* Your long term goals/plans?:For our guild to finish Zul’Aman before the next expansion comes out. I think we'd also like to add a couple more regulars to the guild. Maybe my guildies have some other goals/plans they'd like to add.
* What are your 3-4 areas of skills/knowledge that are your strengths?: Um… well I can heal sorta good and I can fish real good to feed the guildies (they're always hungry) and I know how to make lotsa lotsa money.

K's development need #1: Run more daily heroics when we’re not running Kara
* Why is this a priority?
: Because you get purty things when you turn in the badges then I can tell Maiden to screw off cuz I didn’t want her crap anyways.
* What is your action plan to achieve this need?: Run heroics… duh.
* Do you need anything to help you achieve this need?
: Yes, I need a tanky person and 3 damagey peoples.
* What are possible obstacles and constraints? And what can you do to mitigate these?
: The biggest constraint here is time, sleep, and latency. Given I’ve been on the road for a bit lately, its hard to find the time on the weekends when I’m busy catching back up on stuff at home or we’re running Kara. Then during the week I’m stuck with horrible latencies at the hotel I’m in. I guess I could mitigate this by quitting my job. Uh… then…how would I pay for my WOW then?
* What are the projected results and how will you measure success?
: Well it looks like I am “working” (please form your fingers into air quotes as you read this) from home at least some of next week, so I hope to be able to work on this development need a bit more.

K's development need #2: Upgrade my weapon and offhand (could also be addressed with need #1)
* Why is this a priority?
: Because I’ve had mine a long time and its time for an upgrade.
* What is your action plan to achieve this need?: Continue to kill Maiden and hope for weapon to drop or guild progresses to Prince soon and it drops off him. Secondly for offhand, continue to kill Moroes and hope for offhand to drop or guild finally downs Shade on a regular basis and it drops off him.
* Do you need anything to help you achieve this need?
: I need the gods of WOW loot drop to be kind and merciful to me and finally have Maiden and Moroes drop these pieces.
* What are possible obstacles and constraints? And what can you do to mitigate these?
: Um, it could continue to not drop. And there’s nothing I can do but continue to bitch and pout.
* What are the projected results and how will you measure success?
: Um… I haz them = success. I don’t haz them = fail.

K's development need #3: Get my Honor Hold rep up to revered so I can finally get the Glyph of Renewal, the healing head enchant.
* Why is this a priority?
: Because it’s the only healing enchant I don’t have.
* What is your action plan to achieve this need?
: Do heroic Ramparts or BF or regular or heroic SH.
* Do you need anything to help you achieve this need?
: I again need a tank and three dpsers… oh yeah and time.
* What are possible obstacles and constraints? And what can you do to mitigate these?
: I may not be able to find anyone to go (which is highly unlikely)… more likely is the time limitation and fact that I may get tired of running these repeatedly. Though what I should do is combine this development need with #1. Do heroic Ramparts, BF, or SH when they are the daily.
* What are the projected results and how will you measure success?
: I know I’ll get there, just not sure how soon. If I can get up to revered within the next couple of weeks, I’d say that’s a success.

K's development need #4: Get the Gladiator’s Kodohide Legguards
* Why is this a priority?
: Because I have the four other pieces in this set and I like being matchy matchy. I also like to switch in some pvp pieces for certain fights in Kara where I need the extra stam.
* What is your action plan to achieve this need?
: Run WSG until I have the 30 marks required (I currently have 4).
* Do you need anything to help you achieve this need?
: Yes, I need WSG teams that know what they are doing and don’t suck so much.
* What are possible obstacles and constraints? And what can you do to mitigate these?
: I may get stuck in WSG teams that do suck… then I will have to resort to premades so I don’t want to gouge my eyes out.
* What are the projected results and how will you measure success?
: I can probably do this pretty quickly if I put my mind to it. But I have other priorities. Maybe in the next month or so?

What are your goals and development needs?

4 comments:

  1. Spend some of your badges on the Voodoo Shaker -- could make a nice alternative to the offhand that Moroes drops.

    And how about the healer's PvP Mace (needs Eye of the Storm marks... might be fun when you get tired of WSG).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post and after reading it, I had to work one out for myself. It's not as good, I think, but I've never been good at this sort of thing.
    MostlyKaldorei:Development Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mosshoof... yeah I should probably start saving for that mace. Who knows if the healing maces will drop off maiden or prince.

    @tom... glad to hear you did one yourself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don'tcha hate how time is a factor? I think I'm beginning to dislike time quite a lot. All it seems to ever do is get away from me... there's not catching it, nope, not ever!

    By the way, where I work we call them our annual objectives and they really are laughable. My boss can't stand them either, so he doesn't make us do them. We just have to submit something about what we actually did for the year.

    ReplyDelete