Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You fish on your side, I fish on my side.

This is Lake (I kid you not) Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Massachusetts. In Nipmuc (Algonquian), this name approximately means "Englishmen at Manchaug at the fishing place at the boundary". However, there is a humorous myth that says that this name means "You Fish on Your Side, I Fish on My Side, Nobody Fish in the Middle".

I would like this humorous myth to be applied in WOW fishing. I seriously don't get when someone comes right up and fishes from the pool I'm fishing in. Ok, ok I sorta get it (but still don't like it) in the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza, but seriously? During just regular fishing of Nettlefish or Salmon or whatever? In typical feisty K fashion when someone comes up and fishes from my pool, I'll sometimes just follow them to their next pool and return the favor.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this?

8 comments:

  1. I just started fishing pre 3.1 and hadn't really run into this until last night hunting Dragonfin Angelfish in Dragonblight. My wife warned me of the annoyances of fishing out there, but I go on anyway being the stubborn person I am.

    I settle down and start fishing only to have a large flying mount of some sort park itself right on top of the pool, look at me, land, and promptly begin fishing in my pool. So I move along to another pool knowing there was probably only one or two left there, and sure enough 20 seconds later, there he is again, right next to me fishing away.

    It sure makes some fishing runs frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your approach of returning the favor. Gets the message out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone... Pugnacious Priest expressed your same issues recently...

    http://pugnaciouspriest.wordpress.com/2009/04/18/sharing-is-caring/

    ReplyDelete
  4. After months of competing in the Extravaganza I got used to other people fishing in my pool; but it's still annoying when I click my bobber upon hearing someone else's.

    Dragonfin pools are especially susceptible to this because there are not many pools but it appears that demand for the Str/Agi food is rather high.

    I remember the one time a hunter started fishing in the Salmon pool I was fishing in, then he aggroed a bear who managed to interrupt his fishing :D I cleared the pool and flew off with a grin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally treat fishing pools the same as I would have a mining node when you had to click in multiple times. If someone is there, it is theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guilty of fishing from other people's pools, but only for the purpose of marking them on my map and I never actually catch a fish from them. I make the very clear by casting and immediately moving to cancel the fishing.

    Most people understand I'm probably just making the node on my map and happily remain fishing. Sometimes, though, people get very, very upset, and remain so, even after I explain what I was doing (and that I didn't even try to take a fish from them.) Some people's kids...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back when I was the official provider of our healers' Golden Fish Sticks people would constantly fish from pools from which I was already fishing. Really annoying.

    I haven't worked much on my fishing recently, but when I do I think I'll borrow your idea of following people and returning the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met my share of asshats in the game, but this never happened to me yet.

    Would not looting the fish block the pool for other fishermen, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete